Monday, October 26, 2009

My Virgin Kiwi Fruits








































I usually cut my kiwi vines back very hard to allow for their cascade of foliage to keep my house cooler during the summer and the Indian summers. This year I was rushing to finish the revised edition of Drip Irrigation, for Every Landscape & All Climates, so the vines didn't get pruned. I've had flowers before, but this year one of the two vines brought forth dozens of flowers. Now I have dozens of fruit even though the male vine did not bloom. This is called "parthenogenesis". Fruit produced without any male fertilization. Explain that to me! Will wonders never cease. If it's like the last time this happened ten years ago, the fruits won't ripen until March! (Here the vines are cascading down two stories and out 15 feet.)





Let me know what you think.

Visit my web site to learn about my new book on drip irrigation and other gardening books.

NOTE: The comments section at the bottom of the post has disappeared. Click on the "___ Comments" button or the title under the "Blog Archives". Thanks, Robert

No comments: